[cairo] Building Cairo on RH 7.3

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Dec 19 10:22:37 PST 2007

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 12:09:05 -0600, "Robert Love" wrote:
>    "configure error: Render headers too old.  Version 0.8 or later
> required."
>
> I can't update xrender because render is too old?  What package is
> that.

The naming here is subtle. What that error message called "Render"
would better be called "renderproto", (it lives at
"xorg/proto/renderproto" in the source tree). It contains header files
and protocol description. It's used by both the X server and the X
client-side libraries.

Then there is an "Xrender" client-side library package, (called
"xorg/lib/libXrender" in the source tree). And as described above, it
depends on the renderproto package.

So in this case, libXrender was complaining that renderproto was too
old, (and yes the names in the error messages were quite confusing).

Anyway, I hope you can work that out now. We'll definitely be
off-topic for the cairo list soon if you uncover more problems. :-)