[cairo] Holiday cleanup

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Fri Dec 28 17:35:10 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-27 at 21:58 -0500, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> Hello cairo hackers,
>
> Hope you are enjoying your holidays.  While trying to keep a short list
> of cairo bugs I want to track down and fix, I thought I write a message
> and remind everyone that we are planning for a 1.6 release around the
> end of Jan or early Feb.  That means, we need to start fixing
> regressions...
>
> I'd like to ask everyone to start running the test suite again, and
> report/fix what's not working.  I personally have found that the xlib
> and pdf backends are performing quite bad for a while.  Lets tight them
> up again.
>

> Here are three issues I want to fix, but would love to see someone beat
> me to it:
>
>   - cairo-pdf font metrics issue with bitmap fonts.  See my mail to the
> list earlier this month.  This provokes a bigger question of what should
> we do with bitmap fonts in vector (and possibly other) backends?
> Ideally we should scale them.  (a side but related note, I think Pango
> should be made to skip bitmap fonts if metrics hinting is turned off.
> Owen, does that make sense to you?)

As far as I'm concerned, Pango should always be configured to skip
bitmap fonts and bitmap strikes :-) But, no, changing the font selection
based on a metric hints doesn't really make sense to me; it seems like a
side effect that could leave people scratching their heads in puzzlement
for  along time ....skipping bitmap strikes for fonts with both when
outline hinting off does make a lot of sense.

- Owen