[cairo] Failing to build in image-backend-only configuration

Kalle Vahlman kalle.vahlman at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 00:39:34 PST 2007

2007/2/7, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org>:
> On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 08:46 -0500, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> >
> > So the question becomes, should the --without-png be interpeted as "no
> > png at all please" (and thus the slim_hidden_proto-thing fixed to not
> > include the above symbol) or should it be just "no png surface please"
> > (and the build fixed to enable the cairo-png.c if libpng is available
> > and offer an option to disable it).
>
> The former.  There is no png surface in cairo.  Just a couple of utility
> functions to read/write pngs.

You are quite right of course. :) The configure script is not though:

  --enable-png=[no/auto/yes]
                          Enable cairo's PNG backend [default=yes]

I guess this is due to using the automagic function to detect options.
This has the potential to confuse people, so maybe it would be worth
the trouble to make it say "utility API" or something instead of
"backend"...

But back to the original problem, it first looked to me that the
slim_hidden_proto thing was autogenerated, but I guess it's not after
all so the attached patch should fix the problem correctly.

Kalle Vahlman, zuh at iki.fi