[cairo] Text Antialiasing

Tim Flink tim at mail.mew.co.jp
Sun Feb 25 16:21:07 PST 2007

I attached the image that is output from my code to this email.

I didn't compile my own pycairo and have been using a binary
distribution from the gnome ftp site
(http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/pycairo/1.2/pycairo-1.2.6-1.win32-py2.5.exe).
Consequently, I have no idea what options have been set in fontconfig
but since I downloaded it from gnome, I would be very surprised if
patented hinting is enabled.

As far as fonts go, I have been using two trueType fonts. The arial.ttf
which is distributed with Windows and ipag-mona.ttf which is a Japanese
font that I downloaded from
http://www.geocities.jp/ipa_mona/opfc-ModuleHP-1.1.1_withIPAMonaFonts-1.0.5.tar.gz
(I'm using that font because it has fewer restrictions, but I have been
seeing the same antialiasing issues when I use the standaed Japanese
fonts that come with Windows, msgothic.ttc and msmincho.ttc)

Thanks for your help,

Tim