[cairo] Improving PDF output

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon Jan 8 07:17:48 PST 2007

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 15:12:05 +0000, Baz wrote:
> It does seem wrong though, to disassemble the string and rebuild it in
> the back-end like that.

But again, this is just the toy API, so it's not at all interesting to
architect the implementation around it.

The fact is, real applications, (mozilla, anything using GTK+/pango),
will have decomposes any text into glyphs in the application and
called into cairo_show_glyphs. So we have to have code for recombining
things regardless.

Of course, we should share that code across as many backends as
possible, (which I think means writing helper functions for the
backends to call rather than making new entry points in the backend
interface---but I haven't actually been very close to this part of the
implementation lately so I might be a little off).