[cairo] use of linear gradients in PDF causes huge file sizes ?

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Jan 19 14:47:44 PST 2007

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 03:49:42 +0530, "rush ta" wrote:
> When i used linear gradients .. I get huge files sizes upto 40 MBs etc..

That's a known limitation in cairo's current PDF output. Namely, cairo
is doing full-page rasterization for any page that contains any
gradients.

This is in spite of the fact that PDF does allow for native gradients,
and cairo even contains some code to use that. And there even exist
some patches to improve that code.

So a great project for someone who wants to get their hands wet with
cairo would be to improve this. And I'd love to have this in place for
the upcoming 1.4 release.

Here's a previous message I sent describing some of what needs to be
done:

	http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2007-January/009080.html

and here's a patch that I referred to in that message:

	http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2006-August/007648.html