[cairo] Re: Drawing text with Windows bitmap fonts

Stuart Parmenter stuartp at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 10:16:00 PST 2007

We always create the font with size * WIN32_FONT_LOGICAL_SCALE...

    if (scaled_font->preserve_axes) {
        scaled_font->logical_size = WIN32_FONT_LOGICAL_SCALE *
                                    _cairo_lround (scaled_font->y_scale);
    }
    if (!scaled_font->preserve_axes) {
        scaled_font->logical_size = _cairo_lround (WIN32_FONT_LOGICAL_SCALE *
                                                   scaled_font->y_scale);
    }

which means that:
        logfont.lfHeight = -scaled_font->logical_size;
        scaled_font->scaled_hfont = CreateFontIndirectW (&logfont);

so for a 10px font we'll create a 320px bitmap font and then we
SetWorldTransform it back down when we draw it.  This just doesn't
work.  Most bitmap fonts aren't going to have 320px versions.

This is how it has always worked... if this isn't how you intended it
to work you might want to take a look at it.  fwiw, rotated and scaled
text works fine with this set to 1.

stuart