[cairo] cairo windows development setup?

Vladimir Vukicevic vladimir at pobox.com
Tue Jul 3 02:23:40 PDT 2007

Travis Griggs wrote:
> It's been about 6 years before I compiled/debugged applications for
> Windows. Back then, it was MS VisualStudio 6. And then I was allowed the
> wonderful grace of forgetting all of that and using vim/ddd/gcc and/or
> Xcode for the Mac. Now though, I want to do some
> development/debugging/experimentation on Windows, specifically for
> Cairo. I'm curious what tools other Cairo/Windows developers are using.
> VisualStudio? What version? Or maybe cygwin tools instead?

Either cygwin or visual studio should work fine; cygwin will give you a
bit smoother ride (e.g. you'll just ./configure and go), but I
personally use the latest Visual Studio and the Makefile.win32's that
are in the cairo tree.  Some of these are a little crufty, so you may
have to add/remove files as necessary, but it should get you a static
lib and a dll, and let you run the tests and perf benchmarks, as well as
use the Visual Studio debugger.

The free Express version of Visual Studio should work fine as well;
you'll have to install the Platform SDK separately and then munge your
env vars (LIB/INCLUDE/PATH/etc.) to point to the right things (it may
come with some scripts to help with this, not sure), but you don't need
the full commercial version.

    - Vlad