[cairo] Building Cairo 1.4.10 on OS X

Dethe Elza delza at livingcode.org
Mon Jul 9 15:32:40 PDT 2007

On 9-Jul-07, at 7:36 AM, Jeff Bezanson wrote:
> You might try getting the latest fontconfig from Fink, then setting
> FONTCONFIG_LIBS and FONTCONFIG_CFLAGS environment variables to
> point to
> its libraries before running configure. I had a similar problem on
> OS X
> and this fixed it.

Thank you both for your helpful responses.  Here's what I've done and
how far I've gotten with it.

I downloaded and built pixman to get a more recent version.

I installed more recent versions of libpng and libjpeg.

I changed my configure line to:

./configure --enable-quartz --enable-atsui --disable-xlib --disable-
freetype

That seemed to do it, I was able to build cairo and pycairo.  But
when I tried to use pycairo I got this error:

 >>> import cairo
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/
python2.5/site-packages/cairo/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
     from _cairo import *
ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/
lib/python2.5/site-packages/cairo/_cairo.so, 2): Symbol not found:
_cairo_pdf_surface_set_dpi_REPLACED_BY_cairo_surface_set_fallback_resolu
tion
   Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/
lib/python2.5/site-packages/cairo/_cairo.so
   Expected in: flat namespace

Since I don't know right off the bat whether the flat-namespace
problem comes from cairo or from the python wrapper, I ran "make
test" in the cairo directory.

85 of 118 tests failed

I can provide further details of which tests failed (or for a shorter
list, which ones passed).  But it doesn't look like I have a happy
build.

I think I'm going to try to get my build of Python to use the
Macports version of cairo and see if I can make progress that way.

--Dethe