[cairo] rendering UTF8 text

Ulrich Mierendorff ulrich.mierendorff at gmx.net
Mon Jun 25 12:52:18 PDT 2007

Hello,

For one of my projects I render SVGs with libsvg-cairo. These SVGs
contain some Chinese letters, but they appear just as boxes/error
symbols on my screen. It looks like if the correct font was not
installed. But my system (ubuntu linux) has got all fonts, and all other
programs show the text correctly.

I thought this would be probably a problem with the libsvg-cairo library
and I due to the fact that I also want to render text independently, I
thought what would be easier to just use cairo to render text if you
already use it in your program... (Instead of learning freetype api etc.)

I used the "Hello World" text rendering example from
http://cairographics.org/FAQ/ and replaced the "Hello World" string with
some Chinese letters from http://www.lorem-ipsum.info/generator3 : They
are not shown... Same problem as with the SVGs, just black rectangles. I
also tried with different font families.

What am I doing wrong?
And is it possible to specifie font-files instead of families?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Ulrich Mierendorff