[cairo] Re: Sorry I broke the text tests! (and status update)

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon Mar 5 09:03:23 PST 2007

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 10:42:09 +0100, Mathias Hasselmann wrote:
> Had some trouble figuring out boring copyright stuff for the new files:
> Do I have to include Redhat? Do I have to include University of Southern
> California?

No. The cairo project does not require any copyright assignment. You
see Red Hat and University of Southern California a lot in the code
only because those are the places where I (and others) worked while
implementing much of cairo, so they have much of the copyright
interest.

> Should I add myself for those trivial changes initially
> designed by Behdad?

Please designate the proper copyright holder for all changes you make,
(whether yourself or your employer as appropriate given arrangements
between yourself and your employer).

> Maybe cairographics.org should point to some
> copyright policy page.

Feel free to draft something up, (note: all of cairographics.org is a
wiki---so everyone is free to help improve it).

> Maybe it makes sense to just assign all the
> boring copyright stuff to the cairo graphics project?

Absolutely not. There is no legal entity that is "the cairo graphics
library project" so a copyright attribution as follows:

> + * Copyright © 2007 the cairo graphics library project

doesn't make any sense. With no such entity, there's nobody designated
as holding copyright interest here.

Please fix this and resubmit,

Thanks,