[cairo] Transparency troubles with PNGs on Windows

Brad Elliott brad_e at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 11 18:42:22 PDT 2007

Hello,I'm trying to create transparent PNGs and I'm running into a problem where the surface doesn't get cleared when I destroy a cairo+surface pair under Windows. Then when I create a second object there is data left around (a red rectangle) from the original cairo object which corrupts the second image. I suspect that I'm tearing down something incorrectly and the reference counts don't drop to zero (cairo_surface_get_reference_count() doesn't seem to be available on the Windows build on Tor Lillquist's page). Has anyone encountered this before?The following is an example demonstrating this problem on Cairo 1.4.0. When I make the second call to draw() the contents of the original surface are left around in the second image (red rectangle).  Am I doing something wrong in tearing down the surface/cairo object? It works fine under Linux but not under Win32 (Visual Studio .Net 2003 under XP) using the library provided by Tor.Incorrect output on Windows:    http://bradford.elliott.googlepages.com/one_windows.png    http://bradford.elliott.googlepages.com/two_windows.png (red rectangle is left around from one_windows.png)
Correct output on Linux:    http://bradford.elliott.googlepages.com/one_linux.png    http://bradford.elliott.googlepages.com/two_linux.png (no red rectangle which is what I expect)Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.Thanks,Here is a short snippet demonstrating the problem:   #include <cairo.h>      void draw(const char* output_file, int x, int y)   {      cairo_t*         image;      cairo_surface_t* surface;      int              width  = 126;
      int              height = 24;          surface = cairo_image_surface_create(CAIRO_FORMAT_ARGB32, width, height);      image = cairo_create(surface);          cairo_rectangle(image, x, y, 20, 20);
      cairo_set_source_rgba(image, 0,0,0,1);      cairo_fill(image);          cairo_surface_write_to_png(surface, output_file);      cairo_surface_destroy(surface);      cairo_destroy(image);   }   int main(void)
   {      draw("one.png", 0, 0);      draw("two.png", 10, 10);   }