[cairo] Early Initialization?

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Mar 14 10:09:18 PDT 2007

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 16:05:08 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> I wonder, is there any Cairo initialization that we can do at that time?
> For GTK+ 2.6 maemo-launcher initialized Xft, so maybe there's an
> equivalent for GTK+ 2.10.

With GTK+ 2.10, cairo does replace Xft, and there's probably some
non-trivial application startup time to be saved there, (I'm thinking
of fontconfig initialization).

But I don't know what would be the right sequence of cairo calls to
make to force that, (we don't have anything like cairo_init, and even
cairo_create;cairo_destroy is optimized for lazy creation of fonts and
such, so that wouldn't even help).

Maybe all you need is a call to cairo_font_extents() ?

Anyone else have some better suggestion here?