[cairo] svg surface problems

Emmanuel Pacaud emmanuel.pacaud at lapp.in2p3.fr
Wed Mar 21 05:49:12 PDT 2007

Le mercredi 21 mars 2007 à 12:19 +0000, Alex Mac a écrit :
> when I use pango to render some text to an svg surface cairo generates
> a path for each glyph and then references them to achieve the result.
> I know this will solve problems of people not having the right fonts
> installed but it makes the svg files massive and unusable if you
> actually need to extract the text content, is there anyway I can tell
> cairo to just generate <svg:text> elements?

The current SVG backend behaviour is due to the fact it is given only a
list on glyphs to display, without the original utf8 string. So emitting
a <text> element is not straightforward. We could probably do something
similar to what's done in the PDF backend, but that's not implemented
yet.

> Also cairo adds a rectangular clipping path to the svg file which is
> pointless as the outer <svg:svg> element has an implicit clipping
> path. How do I disable this?

I don't remember exactly why I've added this clipping rectangle. I'll
try to have a look at this issue soon.

	Emmanuel.