[cairo] Early Initialization?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Mar 23 22:10:56 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 10:07 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:

> It could just be that the fontconfig memmap'ed cache stuff has dropped
> startup overhead low enough that the advantage of pre-initializing
> things is small.

It helped more than I had hoped:

$ /usr/bin/time -a fc-match foo > /dev/null
0.02user 0.00system 0:00.08elapsed 39%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k

The key numbers here are 0.02 seconds of CPU time and 636 *minor* page
faults. I believe the latter indicates that all of the pages needed for
the caches were already in memory.

It is nice to no longer be responsible for huge wastage of memory and
CPU time.

keith.packard at intel.com