[cairo] text measurement in perf?

Federico Mena Quintero federico at ximian.com
Tue May 29 13:49:21 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-28 at 20:52 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> The issue with non-Western languages you identify is very real, and
> Federico identified that cairo-1.2 is more than an order of magnitude
> slower than cairo-1.0 when dropped a huge bunch of Chinese/Japanese text
> at (in his GUADEC 2006 keynote where he first finger-pointed me as his
> hero, then next slide revealed the huge regression and everyone was
> turning heads to see who I was..., hehe).  The change that caused it of
> course was moving from a global glyph cache to a 256-per-font one.
> Again, Carl has thoughts about how to fix that too.  Carl?

It was parallax error; for the culprit I was actually pointing at
KeithP ;)

I didn't get around to seeing where the problem lies, but Keith
mentioned that it may be the changes in *fontconfig's* cache, not
Cairo's.  (Or was that Freetype...?)

Some interesting links:

Character frequencies in Chinese:
http://lingua.mtsu.edu/chinese-computing/statistics/char/list.php?Which=MO