[cairo] WebKit/Gtk+ and how to contribute

Alp Toker alp at atoker.com
Fri Nov 2 16:15:14 PDT 2007

Holger Freyther wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm glad the interest in WebKit/Gtk+ is so tremendous. While the current
> state of the port is quite good there are still a lot of things missing
> making it really kick ass. This includes Netscape Plugins, keyboard
> navigation, zooming, styling, finishing an API, networking improvements,
> etc.
>
> So don't ask what WebKit/Gtk+ can do for you, but ask yourself what you
> can do for WebKit/Gtk+. And luckily the answer is very simple! File bugs
> and fix them!
>
> 1.) Filing bugs:
>     Go to http://bugs.webkit.org and file bugs. Make sure to use the Gtk
> keyword so we can easily query for Gtk+ bugs
>
> 2.) Fixing bugs:
>     With Alp Toker we have a Gtk+ port reviewer and we have the lovely
> Apple team that is very helpful as well and can review your changes. We
> have Gtk+ people that can and will commit reviewed patches. Just follow
> this guideline[1] and you will make the world a better place.
>
> thanks and I look forward to commit your patches.
>
>     z.
>

> [1] http://webkit.org/coding/contributing.html

Thanks Holger for this introduction to WebKit/GTK+ hacking! I'd also
like to welcome contributors who want to help improve the
platform-independent components of the GTK+ port like the Cairo graphics
and HTTP backends, and future GStreamer video/audio support.

We have a competitive coverage of the SVG spec and the HTML5 canvas
element, for example, but there are still basic gfx TODOs that anyone
who has studied geometry at high school can help fix.

Such work will give us access to a large new correctness and performance
test suite that can potentially assist the Cairo project itself.

Much of the Cairo graphics backend in WebKit is written using the Cairo
C API directly so you don't have to re-learn the Cairo API through
abstractions like "Thebes" (although it is abstracted higher up for use
by the rendering engine).