[cairo] API proposal for document links

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Mon Nov 19 12:11:59 PST 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 19:26 -0500, Alp Toker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've started adding printing support to WebKit/GTK+. One feature that
> we're missing from Cairo is support for hyperlinks and destinations in
> document surfaces.
>
> I've studied the PDF and XPS specifications and come up with a first
> draft for a proposed general API to mark link sources and destinations.
> The API is slightly more expressive than the CoreGraphics equivalent in
> that it allows for an arbitrary path to provide the area of the link,
> rather than just a rectangle, and is generalised to apply to any
> portable document formats that Cairo might support rather than just PDF.
>
> The API is easy to follow if you're familiar with the cairo_set_source()
> variants and cairo_fill(). Here's it is along with commentary from the
> PDF and XPS specifications where appropriate:

Thanks Alp for the research!

This looks generally good.  Random comments:

  - s/link/hyperlink/ should make the API more understandable without
docs, a great goal of cairo.

  - cairo_destination() is to general a name for this.
cairo_hyperlink_destination() would do for me.

  - Without introducing a cairo_hyperlink_destination_t we cannot
provide sensible getters for the setters you introduce.

That's mostly it.

behdad