[cairo] Plans for 1.6?

Baz brian.ewins at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 16:57:03 PST 2007

On Nov 30, 2007 12:24 AM, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:46:33 -0500, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 16:13 -0500, Carl Worth wrote:
> >
> > > I think that's the short required list. There are tons of other
> > > projects/features that might happen if they happen to get done, (24.8
> > > would be great for example), but I don't think there's much else that
> > > should block the release.
> >
> > Sounds good to me.
>
> Another "that would be great" feature is the PDF/SVG blending
> modes. (Like most of the proposed features this is more a pixman thing
> than a cairo thing.) But Scribus folks tell me they were using
> cairo-xlib surfaces and backed off to cairo-image surfaces just to be
> able to implement these blending modes.
>
> -Carl

There's a bunch of nice features that would be good in a 1.6 - like
the user-font stuff thats been mentioned, or for example activating
fonts from memory - which swfdec woudl like, apparently.

However I guess the one thing I want for christmas is, quartz should
be markked as officially supported.

I knocked together the docs changes etc a while back, the only reason
I've not pushed for it yet is that we fail tests; despite the api
having been solid since March or so. I'm not sure that we'll be 100%
with the unit tests by 2008, but marking quartz as supported isn't
saying that - its just saying that the api is stable, and that we've
got community support; which I hope is there now since mozilla rely on
cairo/quartz on mac. Carl?

I'll hold off pushing these patches as long as you like; with a bit of
luck fixing the clipping problem we identified in cairo-quartz this
week will put it on a par with the other platforms for most things.

-Baz