[cairo] 16-bit, HDR and colour

Soeren Sandmann sandmann at daimi.au.dk
Wed Oct 3 11:22:50 PDT 2007

MenTaLguY <mental at rydia.net> writes:

> On 03 Oct 2007 19:29:26 +0200, Soeren Sandmann <sandmann at daimi.au.dk> wrote:
> >> I don't know of any currently. There's definitely not any code in
> >> cairo itself, nor in pixman, for this.
> >
> > Actually, there is a branch in the pixman repository called
> > "wide-composite" that has code for 10.10.10.{x,2}. It is not ready to
> > go in yet, though.
>
> What's the use case for 10.10.10.2, out of curiosity?

As I understand it, these formats are supported by nvidia hardware,
and in order to be able to add those visuals to the X server, software
fallbacks are needed.

Note that this code is not really specific to the 10.10.10.x formats -
it works pretty like the existing general compositing code, except
that it uses an intermediate 16.16.16.16 format instead of 8.8.8.8, so
that general 16 bits-per-channel formats would be easy to add.

Soren