[cairo] cairomm license vs. cairo license

Jonathon Jongsma jonathon at quotidian.org
Mon Oct 8 06:56:35 PDT 2007

On 10/8/07, Martin Lütken <mlu at danware.dk> wrote:

> Anyone who knows  the reason why cairo can be used under MPL (and LPGL ) but cairomm can "only" be  used under LPGL? Would have liked to use cairomm, but not sure I can do it  now.
> Anyways it seems  strange that the lincenses differ. Is it because the individual authors behind  cairo and cairomm have different opinions about licensing ?
>
> - Regards Martin  L

Hello Martin,
cairomm is licensed under LGPL essentially because all of the other
GNOME C++ wrapper libraries are licensed under the LGPL and that is
what we are familiar with.  As far as I can tell, there are other
bindings that are LGPL-only as well, not just cairomm.  I am not
really familiar with the MPL, so I'm honestly not sure what the
differences are between MPL and LGPL.  Out of curiousity, what are
your requirements that make the MPL acceptable but the LGPL not
acceptable?

--
jonner