[cairo] antialias for images?

Bill Spitzak spitzak at thefoundry.co.uk
Tue Oct 16 04:36:07 PDT 2007

Peter Goetz wrote:
> As you already supposed I started with a high resolution source image.
> I also change the order of rotation and scale. With no success.
> Even if I don't rotate at all and just scale the image down, I get a
> non-antialiased result.
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks again for help!

I think the problem is that any scale less than .5 does not produce good
antialiasing. What it does is linearly interplate the closest 2 pixels.
At a scale less than .5 it must include more the 2 pixels in the
calculation for a single output pixel.

I believe any fix will have to be done by a lower-level library such as
pixman or the XRender extension.

--
Bill Spitzak, Senior Software Engineer
The Foundry, 1 Wardour Street, London, W1D 6PA, UK