[cairo] PDF text doesn't render

Adrian Johnson ajohnson at redneon.com
Mon Sep 24 05:31:31 PDT 2007

Baz wrote:
> On 23/09/2007, Baz <brian.ewins at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I still havent managed to reproduce the original bug. Any more details
>> Adam (configure flags, freetype version)?
>
> Thanks for cc'ing me in on the bug Adrian, I managed to reproduce the
> problem now - its does this with atsui enabled, whether or not ft is
> enabled - but it took that Inconsolata font to trigger it (.otf)
>
> -Baz

Have you tried using pdffonts to see what type the embedded font is.

TrueType fonts should be embedded as a CID TrueType (or CID Type 2C)

name                       type              emb sub uni object ID
-------------------------- ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
DejaVuSans                 CID TrueType      yes no  yes      2  0

OpenType fonts with CFF outlines should be embedded as CID Type 0C

name                       type              emb sub uni object ID
Inconsolata                CID Type 0C       yes no  yes      2  0

Type 1 fonts should be embedded as Type 1

name                       type              emb sub uni object ID
NimbusSansL                Type 1            yes no  yes      2  0

If the font subsetting fails returning CAIRO_STATUS_UNSUPPORTED a
fallback font will be embedded (CID Type 0C for ttf/otf) or Type 1 for
Type 1 fonts. This will have a CairoFont-x-y name.

name                       type              emb sub uni object ID