[cairo] PDF Text Extraction: Future (long)

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Wed Sep 26 14:28:08 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 17:54 +0100, Daniel Glassey wrote:
> Behdad, I fowarded your list mail to the graphite list to see if
> anyone had any input and here is a response.

Thanks Daniel,

> Thanks,
> Daniel

I disagree with Martin here.  Maybe I should clarify my definition of
cluster, but, since cluster is a pure technical concept rather than one
inherent to the language/script, the Uniscribe's model is not really a
compromise.  Software needs a chars<->glyph mapping that is easy to
comprehend, and a sequence of clusters that advance forward in character
string and either advance forward or backward in the glyph stream is one
that pretty much matches that expectation.

But Martin has a point, that the breaking of glyphs to correspond to
characters *inside a cluster*, is not linear or even unidirectional.
That I totally agree with, and this is what I wrote in my mail:

      Since ligature clusters contain more than one grapheme, it
      is perfectly valid for the user to want to select only
      a subset of the graphemes.  There is no general solution to
      this problem, so most implementations simply divide the
      width of an output glyph into the number of graphemes
      linearly.  So for example if you mouse over to the middle
      of the "ff" ligature, only one "f" will be selected...
      This is far from perfect for some Indic languages, but is
      good enough.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/