[cairo] Error when creating pdf charts for new FreeSerifItalic.ttf

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Apr 3 11:22:30 PDT 2008

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 11:09:21 -0700, Carl Worth wrote:
> Meanwhile, there's an independent bug that's perhaps even more
> concerning. Namely, with cairo 1.5.16 (or current git master), the
> results of running fntsample are totally wrong, (with the large glyphs
> all misplaced by a consistent offset). The incorrect output can be
> seen here:

No, the glyphs aren't all consistently offset. Instead the first row
is correctly placed while the relative Y offsets of subsequent rows of
glyphs proceed in the wrong direction, (as if with the incorrect sign
for the Y offset).

> -                                         surface->height - glyphs[i].y);
> +                                         glyphs[i].y);

> -                                                     -(glyphs[i].y - Tlm_y)/scaled_font->scale.yy);
> +                                                     (glyphs[i].y - Tlm_y)/scaled_font->scale.yy);

So I feel like something related to these Y position changes must be
related. The above two changes don't seem consistent for example,
(both involve a change in the sign of glyphs[i].y but only one
involves a subtraction of surface->height).

But I'm definitely still flailing blindly here.

Quick, Adrian, come save me.

-Car