[cairo] Vertical Text Issue

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Tue Apr 15 12:06:30 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 14:47 -0400, robertk54 at aol.com wrote:

> >> Ah, ok.  That'll do it.  The missing link.  Thanks.  Can I assume
> then
> >> this will work fine on Linux as-is since this uses FreeType under
> the
> >> hood by default?
>
> >Yes.
>
> >It will also work with other font backends when we add
> >cairo_font_options_set_writing_system().  That may happen for 1.8.
>
> So, if I want to do this on Windows today I would need to use FreeType
> and FontConfig in addition to Cairo and Pango?

No.  You need to have a cairo and pango built with freetype font
backend, included, then you probably need to use the font map returned
by pango_cairo_font_map_new_for_font_type() to create a freetype font
map instead of the default which would be win32.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

        -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759