[cairo] Pushing vmx patches in pixman

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Apr 15 18:42:51 PDT 2008

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 23:16:32 +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
> I have a private tree already in sync with the main one and I'd like
> either to publish the tree as separate branch or add the patch to the
> main branch.

Hi Luca,

> Since I'm quite new to the project I'd like to know which is the best
> practice.

Thanks for asking.

For cairo, the way we do things is that any "big" change must be sent
to the mailing list first for review, and then if there are no
objections the original author can push to master. A "small" change
can be pushed directly. And for new authors, every change should be
considered "small" and sent to the list.

For pixman, Søren is in charge, and you definitely need his approval
before you push anything.

In addition to mailing the patches, it's also convenient if you push
your git branch to a public place. And this is really required before
you push directly to cairo or pixman repositories so we can ensure
your commits look exactly the way they should.

So I recommend that you first push your changes to a public place,
(which freedesktop provides you now that you've got an
account). Something like this, (from within your pixman tree with with
your changes on the local master branch):

	ssh people.freedesktop.org 'mkdir pixman; cd pixman; git --bare init; touch git-daemon-export-ok'
	git remote add lu_zero people.freedesktop.org:pixman
	git push lu_zero master

The name "lu_zero" there is an arbitrary identifier, and you could
actually use any name you'd like there.

Then, other people can inspect your work with:

	git remote add lu_zero git://people.freedesktop.org/~lu_zero/pixman
	git fetch lu_zero

I hope that helps.

Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions.