[cairo] downscaling capabilities

Frédéric Plourde frederic.plourde at polymtl.ca
Mon Apr 21 09:58:21 PDT 2008

I'm globally not in favor of using non-power-of-two integer scales for
mipmaping interpolation. The reason is simple : it's the good old memory
/ quality / speed tradeoff.

If you plan on using non-powers-of-two integer scales, then you cannot
really pre-calculate every possible mipmap levels that you would need
every time you wanna scale.. Hence, meaning that you're going to need to
compute the required mipmaps every single time that your scale factors
change by more than 1. (And remeber here, the mipmaps are prefiltered
versions of the source image) This way, you're unfortunately loosing any
cache coherence that you could have used.  However, using that method,
you certainly avoid big quality discontinuities (sudden drops) when
switching from one mipmap pair to to next.

On the other hand, if you're planning on using power-of-two scale
factors, you're loosing a little bit of the quality (interpolation drops
will appear when switching mipmap pairs), but you certainly gain a lot
of speed. By precomputing the required mipmap levels, you can obtain a
perfect cache coherence when swithing from one mipmap pair to the next,
and back. Unfortunately, this solution comes with some CPU burden at the
beginning of the mipmaping generation process and this is the issue I'd
like to discuss with you guys.

another approach to mipmap generation is its "on-the-fly" flavor, in
which one creates a mipmap pair only when its required, keeping it in
memory for future use of course.

Best,
-fred-