[cairo] Reply to myself (XCB compilation)

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Mon Apr 21 11:49:34 PDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 7:24 AM, Felix Rabe
<public at felixrabe.textdriven.com> wrote:
>  The quick-and-fast document to read to compile XCB and Cairo (with XCB).

A fine goal--but I don't understand why you took the complicated and
time-consuming route. :-) You only needed to `git clone` five
repositories to build XCB, listed on the XCB Developers' Guide. One
more, as you noticed, gets you all the prerequisites for cairo. Like
`build.sh`, the `git-xorg` script is complete overkill for this goal.

We recommend being familiar with the Modular Developer's Guide. We
didn't say you should follow it. :-) I wonder if you would have found a
guide to common open-source packaging practices, such as the use of
DESTDIR, more helpful? Here's Debian's "New Maintainer" documentation on
how they use DESTDIR, if that helps:
	http://www.us.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-modify.en.html

The only outdated comment I see in the XCB Developers' Guide is that
xsltproc is no longer needed. Did you spot some other problem in that
page? Please let us know, or even better, please fix it.

Jamey