[cairo] Problem with using Cairo on win98

Hakki Dogusan dogusanh at tr.net
Mon Apr 21 14:55:16 PDT 2008

Hi,

(Thanks for reply. And sorry for previous direct mail. I tried to
replicate your message below.)

Tor Lillqvist wrote:
>>  Is win98 made an unsupported platform with 1.6.4? It is not mentioned in
>>  changelog.
>
> Win9x has never been a supported platform for cairo as far as I know.
> Already in cairo 1.0.0 sources (the oldest I have around) I see use of
> the Unicode (wide-character) versions of the APIs.

me:
(MinGW, ~Unicode with unicows.dll, Lua-5.1.3)
To be sure, I re-compiled lcairo.dll with 1.4.14.

tml:
I have no idea what lcairo is. The simple fact is that in the official
cairo 1.0.0 sources already, there are calls to the W versions of
Win32 APIs. These calls will fail on Win9x. (They will fail at
run-time, not at link time.)

me:
Following code runs in win98:
[snipped Lua code using move_to/line_to/etc. only]

Though, following test failed with "_get_global_font_dc:
invalid  parameter":
[snipped Lua code using select_font_face/show_text/etc.]

tml:
If the code does not cause any of the W versions of the API to be
called, it will most likely work. I think that it might be that only
font-related functionality was affected. But Win9x being unsupported
means that if some subset of cairo happened to work on Win9x, that was
just coincidental.

--
Regards,
Hakki Dogusan