[cairo] Cairo PDF output doesn't render in Acrobat

Kristof Van Landschoot kristof at coin-c.com
Fri Apr 25 02:56:26 PDT 2008

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Nick De Roeck <nick.de.roeck at gmail.com>
wrote:

> My guess is that this is related to the multistep gradation, if you
> leave out the middle step, the PDF file renders fine in Acrobat.

I did some digging and found that when you leave out the middle step the
function that defines the gradient turns to be of FunctionType 3, i.e. a
"stitching function".  That also makes sense with what I read in the cairo
code, cairo-pdf-surface.c line 2031.

> I'm not sure if this is a bug in Acrobat, or a bug in the PDF itself.

As far as I can tell the PDF is according to the spec.  However, given that
Acrobat doesn't show it correctly (and I verified this: it doesn't), I am
not sure if that is of any help.  Most people will consider the PDF
"broken", I guess.

Anybody else any thoughts on this?

Best Regards,
Kristof