[cairo] cairomm 1.6.0 fails with cairo 1.6.4 + quartz on Mac OS X

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Apr 25 08:24:22 PDT 2008

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 17:06:42 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 12:41 -0400, Benjamin Reed wrote:
> > I'm not sure how to untangle this stuff, is it impossible to support
> > both X and quartz in the same cairo installation?
>
> I guess so. If it works for cairo then it should work for cairomm.

Hi Murray,

Long ago (before cairo 1.0) we had a single "cairo.h" file that gave
you all the backends enabled in your cairo build.

Then we discovered that many systems, (X, Microsoft Windows, and
Apple), all have namespace-hating header files that collide badly,
(with things like Window, Cursor, etc.).

So for cairo, we know provide separate cairo-xlib.h, cairo-win32.h,
and cairo-quartz.h and applications can pull those in only as needed.

I don't know exactly what's happening here, but if cairomm is pulling
in several of those system-specific header files automatically, then
that's a problem.