[cairo] Basic cairomm questions
britten at caris.com
Fri Aug 8 11:27:22 PDT 2008
I'm new to Cairo (Looks pretty good though!), and had a couple of
(basic) questions, mostly related to cairomm (And PDF, since
that's where I'm starting).
- Is this an appropriate place for cairomm questions? I found the
documentation for it
but couldn't seem to find any sort of project page for it.
- What's the relationship between cairo and cairomm (Other than
the obvious C++ wrapping)? Is it maintained by the same people
at the same time as cairo, or is it some sort of unofficial
add-on, which might be lagging behind, abandoned someday, etc?
[ Asked another way I guess - If I'm a C++ developer, why
*wouldn't* I use cairomm? What long-term risk/concern would
I introduce to my project by using it? ]
- If cairo and cairomm are "together":
- Should there be a link somewhere from the Cairo page to the
cairomm docs (at least). Sorry if I overlooked it.
- Are they sync'd/released together, or do they maintain their
own independent version numbers?
- What strategy does cairo(mm) use for error handling? As a
specific example, if an invalid path/filename is passed to
the PdfSurface constructor (such that it can't create the
requested file), how to I know that? Exceptions? Error
numbers somewhere (Like errno)? Inference? (ie: I get a NULL
back, and guess what the problem might have been) Other?
- As a graphics library, I realize encodings and Unicode aren't
really a big concern to Cairo, but is there any definitive
approach to this? Again, using the filename passed to the
PdfSurface constructor, what encoding/codepage is that
expected to be in? Current runtime? UTF8? ISO-8859-1?
[ All our text handling is in Unicode, so I'll need to
address this issue anywhere I'm interfacing with relevant
Cairo code. ]
Well, thanks for any info. Keep up the great work!
More information about the cairo