[cairo] Breaking the dependency on libX11

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Mon Aug 11 23:00:40 PDT 2008

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> That's one option.  And distros can do that today.  I know Debian has
> installs a version of cairo only with the directfb backend enabled.  In
> the longer term, we may want to make cairo generate finergrained .so's.
>  That comes at a cost though, but I'll take a look into it.

Thanks!  I trust you'd take care of the packaging in Fedora too?

Open design question: how do we get pkgconfig to return a different .so
depending on what backends the client is planning to use?
One could have multiple .pc files, such as cairo.pc, cairo-image.pc,
cairo-pdf.pc, but how would we handle the various situations for people
who want just one library with all the backends?

Hmm... this solution smells too much like a kludge :-/

--
   \___/  Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
  _| X |  Sugar Labs Team  - http://www.sugarlabs.org/