[cairo] line width questions

Simon Budig simon at budig.de
Mon Aug 18 14:47:36 PDT 2008

Ian Britten (britten at caris.com) wrote:
> So you're saying that Cairo is going to prevent me from using this
> valid PS/PDF feature? Namely, using a lineweight of zero and
> automatically getting a "as thin as possible" line?
>
> [ Ya, sorry - That's a pretty obvious troll...  :(

To comment on that from a different angle: You seem to expect that cairo
is something that has the goal of mapping all surface-specific features
(especially PDF) into a nice API.

It is the other way around: cairo provides an API with a certain set of
specification and *then* maps these to various output "devices". If zero
linewidth is a nice feature of PDF there is nothing that needs cairo to
make use of this feature. If you absolutely need this feature then you
even might be better off generating the PDF yourself or use a different
PDF helper library.

Bye,
       Simon
--