[cairo] Who broke my user fonts?

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Tue Dec 23 11:41:44 PST 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-23 at 14:28 -0500, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> Chris Wilson wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-12-23 at 13:52 -0500, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> >> Checkout master, run:
> >>
> >>   util/cairo-view '@cairo:serif' 0 0 48
> >
> > On a side note, a python examples makes it hard to look at changes with
> > uninstalled libraries. Is there any way to easily make python use a
> > specific version of a library?
> >
> > $  python -c 'import cairo; print cairo.version'
> > 1.4.12
> > $ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./src/.libs  python -c 'import cairo; print
> > cairo.version'
> > 1.4.12
>
> Umm, I'm sure I've done this before.  cairo.version is irrelevant I bet.
> That's the pycairo version or something.  It's definitely not calling
> cairo_version().

Indeed, that's turns out to be the version pycairo was compiled against.

> To check what's in use I do a pmap on the process...
Thanks for the hint - had to look at /proc/*/maps as pmap only shows the
library basename -- leading to more confusion.

Having double checked that my checkout is up-to-date, running
"util/cairo-view '@cairo:serif' 0 0 48" generates two empty rectangles -
which I immediately blamed on python linking against the wrong cairo.
Time to actually look at what is going on and to stop jumping to
conclusions. :-|
--
Chris