[cairo] Text Grid Performance

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Feb 5 08:11:08 PST 2008

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 17:10:42 +0200, "Gerdus van Zyl" wrote:
> Does anybody have any idea on how to speed up text rendering
> performance?

Hi Gerdus,

> P.S. I am using Cairo 1.4.14 from gtk.org (that has a snazzy new
> website!) through pycairo, and according to profiling all the time is
> spent in cairo related code.
> My text rendering for each element is basically: save,clip,render text
> using pango,restore

You've clearly put a lot of effort into measuring things. And thanks
for sharing the table of results you've got so far.

But can you also share the actual profiles you've generated, and
perhaps the benchmark code you've got. That should help us quite a bit
in actually seeing what's happening.

Meanwhile, what cairo backend are you using? Are you targeting the X
Window System, for example?