[cairo] Cairo, Python and GTK widgets within a context

natan yellin aantny at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 10:56:31 PST 2008

Hello,
Can't you use gtk.Layout to pack widgets into a drawable area?

I'm trying to do something similar, with mixed success so far.

-Natan
2007/12/15, Donn <donn.ingle at gmail.com
>* Hi,
*>*  Is there any way to "house" a GTK widget (say a button, or a text entry
*>* field) within a GDK DrawingArea (for which I can get a cairo context)?
*
A DrawingArea isn't a container, so not really (at the moment at
least). However, if you take a dip and learn how to write a container
in GTK (it's not really that difficult, though it requires to learn
how the widget system works), it's possible to write a canvas widget
that contains the other widgets...

>* I want to see if I can mix-in some GTK widgets and place them on
the canvas. I
*>* am aiming at having them obey the matrix of the current context, so they can
*>* scale and rotate etc.
*
...though to get this far you'll either have to do uglish things to
acquire the widget's drawing or wait for the offscreen rendering patch
to be in a GTK+ release to do it properly. And even after that, you'll
get the input problem, ie. you need to transform also the input events
(mouse clicks etc) for the widgets...

>* Any hope?
*
Hope: yes, practical implementation: at least not yet, unfortunately.

Kalle Vahlman, zuh at iki.fi