[cairo] generation of inefficient postscript?

Adam Goode adam at spicenitz.org
Sun Feb 10 17:55:00 PST 2008

Adrian Johnson wrote:
> Adam Goode wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Any status on this? I would be interested to see your patch to see if
>> there is anything I could do.
>>

> I have a branch on my fdo git repository with the patches to fix this problem:
>
> http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=users/ajohnson/cairo.git;a=shortlog;h=ps_fixes
>
> I am waiting to get the current PS test failures fixed before I merge this in.
>
> If you would like to test this branch to see if it successfully fixes the
> problem you can download it with the following commands:
>
> git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/~ajohnson/cairo
> cd cairo
> git pull origin ps_fixes:ps_fixes
> git checkout ps_fixes

Hi,

This works much better! My printer no longer dies with cairo output.
It's still a little slower than xpdf. (A simple 1-bit image is my
testcase, attached.)

It takes 3.9s to print from xpdf and about 7s from evince. Perhaps this
is because xpdf prints as 1 bit and cairo expands to full RGB? Still, an
amazing improvement!

Thanks,

Adam