[cairo] New user question - cairo without MS windows / Linux / Mac OS?

Robert Norris rob at cataclysm.cx
Tue Feb 19 13:06:14 PST 2008

Hi Bernhard,

> I would like to use cairo in a system with x86 architecture but
> without windows or unix / linux as opeating system. Instead I use a
> rtos.

You're going to need to "port" cairo (implement a surface backend) for
your RTOS. I just posted a brief "how to get started" guide (see post
with subject "Re: Hello Cairo_Graphics.". Its usually not that difficult
to get something up and running using the software rendering paths.

> I would like to draw with cairo to an image in memory and copy this
> image to the graphic memory.

You could draw onto cairo image surfaces and then copy the data out of
them into your graphics memory, but really you're just doing the same
job as a surface backend would do but with more code on your side rather
than hidden away inside cairo.

Cheers,
Rob.