[cairo] Fwd: Re: Uniform Line Widths

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Sat Feb 23 14:50:58 PST 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 17:06 -0800, Bill Spitzak wrote:

> >> I'm pretty certain it would be done at the time of the set_font_matrix.
> >> I believe font_size should be a convinence wrapper over this, just as
> >> you are proposing for the pen.
> >
> > Problem with it is, people expect that sandwiching between
> > "cairo_save(); cairo_scale(2,2);" and "cairo_restore()" should make it
> > draw twice bigger text.  If we lock, that wouldn't happen.  Donno.
>
> I don't understand this. I also expect twice-bigger text if the
> set_font_matrix is put at the point like you suggest.

Right.  But I was talking about the case without set_font_matrix().
Just a bare cairo_scale().

One thing these changes mean is that for example, if you have a routine
draw_happy_face(cr), then just cairo_scale()ing before calling that
routine doesn't linearly enlarge the drawing.  because the stroke width
is not scaled anymore, and the font size is not scaled either.  That's a
serious change in semantics.

Maybe there's a third way, to provide both semantics.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

        -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759