[cairo] Error build does not pick up freetype at the right place

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Feb 28 20:48:12 PST 2008

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 14:36:46 -0800, Charles Doutriaux wrote:
> I'm trying to build cairo 1.5.10 , I got /lgm/cdat/latest/bin in my path
> defined first.
> There's nothing there
> my libfreetype is in /usr/lib/libfreetype.a (or so) includes are there too.
> pkg-config picks it up with  no problem
> /bin/sed: can't read /lgm/cdat/latest/lib/libfreetype.la: No such file
> or directory
>
> somehow it tries to sed with freetype in the first path! no idea why!

Sounds like this could just be evil libtool inflicting pain on you.

Do you have any .la files installed in any system paths? If so, one of
them might have the /lgm/cdat/latest/lib/libfreetype.la path
hard-coded in it, (yes, .la files are that evil).

My typical solution for this particular problem is a system-wide
search-and-destroy, deleting all .la files I can find. (Though if you
delete some that aren't causing breakage, that might trigger the need
to rebuild some things.)

I hope that helps.