[cairo] Path Gradients

Bill Spitzak spitzak at thefoundry.co.uk
Fri Jan 4 17:04:35 PST 2008

Okay if I understand that paper correctly, only the square buttons are
using path gradients. The background, and smaller background of the
keys, are some kind of unnamed "objects".

The output display is a "Group Of Rectangles" object.

My best guess is that these are earlier graphics types they wrote and
don't use path gradients. It is appaent that the shine on them is
blurred as opposed to the sharp-edged one used for the buttons.

I would say that path gradients are still useless unless the path is
very close to a circle. HOWEVER: the current Cairo radial gradient
requires the path to be an ellipse, so this has a bit more power as
those rounded rectangles are possible. Also they are trying to allow the
same path object to be reused in useful ways to define both the pattern
and the fill shape, although this seems to be leading to a bunch of
extra fiddly controls such as the "bounding box", but still may be a
good idea. I think otherwise there may have to be path transform
operations added to Cairo.

A gradient drawn between two paths could be much more useful as it could
be used to produce the blobby effects on non-square shapes.