[cairo] Text output in SVG target

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Mon Jan 7 15:18:06 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 17:46 -0500, Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:

> That said, does SVG support specifying explicit glyph IDs?  I'd
> guess
> not, though I think that once we have a good API for pdf text
> embedding, it should be possible to specify a flag on a pdf surface
> never embed font paths and assume that the fonts exist on the
> destination -- then show_glyphs could use the text info and just
> create a <text> node.  It may not be exactly correct, but it may
> well
> be exactly what a lot of people want, especially if they can control
> which fonts are present.

Sure, we can have such switches on a per backend basis (same way that we
will control font embedding settings).  But in the end, this is really
against cairo's design, which is exactly the same output on all
backends.  We go well out of our way to support all the funky operations
in PS backend that doesn't support them natively (same for other
backends of course), so, embedding text without font doesn't sound that
appealing to me.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/