[cairo] LCD filtering in cairo, use default filter?

Sylvain Pasche sylvain.pasche at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 16:23:16 PST 2008

Carl Worth wrote:
> I disagree on "not much impact" here. To my eyes, I see a big
> cyan-tinted blur around the glyphs with the DEFAULT and LIGHT filters
> compared to LEGACY. (This is with Sans 6 and Sans 8 with the bytecode
> interpreter on).

Now that I'm watching closer at these small sizes, I can also notice
these color artifacts.

> If that's your conclusion, then we have to have configurability I
> think. I see a general regression in readability switching from
> LEGACY to DEFAULT, (and this is definitely a bigger regression with
> the bytecode interpreter on).
>
> So I think if we're going to do any change here we'll have to chalk
> our different interpretations up to personal preference and make
> things configurable to try to make everyone happy.

Thanks for your feedback. I am also convinced that configurability is
the way to go now.

As Behdad proposed I'll try to write a proposal for an API to set the
lcd filter type in the font options.

Afterwards there will be more work for integrating this option up to
GNOME/Gtk+, but that is no Cairo concern any more.

I've put a page summarizing the current situation and the areas needing
to be tackled:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/ScreenFontSettings

Sylvain