[cairo] CairoPlot, ploting graphics with Python and PyCairo

John Stowers john.stowers.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 05:14:16 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 08:20 -0300, =?ISO-8859-1?Q? Rodrigo_Ara=FAjo _
wrote:
> Thanks everyone :D
>
> I already knew MatPlotLib but the idea, as you understood, was to
> create beautiful plots in a simpler way not intended to scientific
> papers but for more visual appealing spaces like blogs.
>
> So, thanks for the compliments. I'll try to improve it in the next few
> weeks and we'll look for some appropriate place on the site to link.

I had a quick play with your charting library and it looks good. If I
can offer a feature request....

Doing animated (i.e. updated @ about 1-2Hz, moving window and fixed
scaling, or infrequent axis autoscaling) large timeseries datasets in
matplotlib is painful. If your library could provide some sort of api
like

p = Plot(animated=True, x=None, y=[])
for i in range(0,10000000:
    p.add_y(42)

This would give a nice animated line plot (like gnome system monitor).
It should be smart about when it rescales the Y axis, if/when it adjusts
the x axis, and only redraws the new point and parts of the data in
screen.

I will buy you beers

Thanks

John