[cairo] Cairo backend which utilizes GPU

Travis Griggs tgriggs at cincom.com
Wed Jul 2 23:46:14 PDT 2008

On Jul 1, 2008, at 8:04 PM, KwangYul Seo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to use cairo in embedded systems with OpenGL ES support. I
> know currently there are two cairo backends which uses GPU for
> graphics acceleration.
>
> 1) Glitz (OpenGL backend)
> 2) OpenVG (which is usually implemented in OpenGL)
>
> Can I use Glitz for this purpose? I am a bit worried because glitz
> seems to be out of date now. What is the minimum requirements of
> OpenGL to use glitz? Does it need specific GL extensions?
>
> What is the current status of OpenVG backend? Is it an officially
> supported backend? I found AmanithVG implements OpenVG with OpenGL
> ES 1.1 and 2.0.
>
> Are there other options to use cairo in embedded systems with
> accleration?

Off original topic, but close enough I'll throw in my 2c. I'm
committing the sin of showing up in open source forums and saying "I
wish someone would..." rather than doing it myself. Someday, maybe
I'll get to do this, not yet unfortunately. But where I'd love to see
GPU utilization is under some of the other Cairo platforms. Correct me
if I'm wrong, but using XRender on X11, it is *possible* one gets some
hw accel? I think with the quartz backend, you get some hw accel? And
finally, iiuc, on windows, using win32 APIs, we get none, and to get
some we'd need a DirectDraw backend? As one who's pitching Cairo as a
xplatform solution, I'd love to see the windows side of things really
rock. I use OSX, and sometimes X11 myself, but most of my end
customers are forced to use the winders boxes their companies hand them.

BTW, I'm probably being naive in my overview above, I'd love to be
corrected. I've never had a concise enumeration of under which
platforms things go about as quick as to be expected.

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist