[cairo] cairo-1.6.4, Mac OS X, requested FreeType font backend could not be enabled

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Jun 5 09:27:56 PDT 2008

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 01:04:18 -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> I still find it unusual that, when building cairo as a single-
> architecture binary for the local architecture only, it says my
> FontConfig has FcFini, but when building cairo as a universal binary,
> it says it doesn't. My FontConfig hasn't changed, of course. It
> either has this function or it does not. The manner in which I'm
> building cairo should not affect that. I think cairo may not be
> detecting this function correctly.

Yes, that's strange.

But very few of us are building universal binaries on macs. So, if this
is to be fixed, someone that *is* doing that is going to have to
figure out why the test that works by compiling/linking a simple
program calling FcFini works in one case and not the other.

If someone can do that, and then tell us if there's anything that we
should change, then we would be glad to do so.

Note that cairo's check for FcFini is *almost* just a standard
autoconf AC_CHECK_FUNCS call. So if there's something wrong here, it's
likely to be inside of autoconf's definition of that macro, and not
something cairo-specific. (I say *almost* because it is actually using
a custom _CHECK_FUNCS_WITH_FLAGS call that we define to call
AC_CHECK_FUNCS with slightly augmented lists for CFLAGS and LIBS. It
should be quite simple to test to see if that is custom macro is
causing the problem or not.)