[cairo] Can I provide a location to obtain a drawn object?

Matthew Walker mattgwwalker at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 17:45:21 PDT 2008

Hello,

If I have drawn something on a surface, is it possible to look up what has
been drawn at a specific location?

This is my first time looking into Cairo, so please forgive me if this is a
stupid question.  I attempted to search through the mailing list archives
and the documentation, but I didn't find concrete answers.

I would like to know if it's possible to take, say, the mouse pointer's
location and obtain some sort of reference to the "object" that is at that
location.  Is this easy to do in Cairo?  Can you point me to any relevant
API functions?

The objects that I want to draw will be made up of a number of strokes (and
possibly fills).  I would like primarily to print these (automatically
produced) drawings, but I would also like to have some sort of interface to
allow users to add information through a "click to select" style interface.
Do you have any suggestions?  Or is Cairo not the right library to consider?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Matthew.