[cairo] Cairo in Google Summer of Code

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue Mar 18 04:40:55 PDT 2008

Here comes a text to substitude the current wiki one.

Whether the more labourious and below described "colour space per object"
or a simpler "colour space per cairo context" is appropriate is not yet
settled down. After the concept is more detailed it should become clear.

[Medium] Add appropriate color-management support to cairo

Cairo needs the ability to allow for colour management. By this project it
will become possible to work in different colour spaces, convert
automatically to blend different content and tag graphics objects to tell
backends about the colour spaces involved. The colour space information
will follow the ICC standard.
Learn about the constraints at different OS'es and handle API abstraction.
During the programming work you will design and implement the
corresponding means covering frontside API's and backend specific code due
to file formats and other specific requirements.
A small application, showing the new capabilities, will help in spotting
problems and can later be used for demonstrations.
A unit test and documentation is required for maintainablility and further
easy deployment.

Certainly me and other OpenICC people would like to discuss such a
project to make suggestions. At least I am open to dig deeper into
this. Even if I have no previous experiences from internal work on Cairo,
if you search for a mentor for this project feel free to add me.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
developing for colour management